George W. Stafford started in Cumberland, MD in the late 1940’s with the his parents and 5 siblings, raising pigs, beef, fruits, vegetables and corn, etc. Now, George’s sister operates Stafford’s Market in Cumberland. The existing business started in the 1940’s.
George came to Springfield Hospital Center in 1954 to become LPN, which he did for 30 years. While there, he met Fern P. Stafford in 1955 and they got married. Fern was from Harlan, Kentucky and likewise came to Springfield Hospital Center as an LPN. Dianna was born 1965. The family has lived in the Sykesville area ever since.
George and Fern retired from Springfield Hospital Center in 1984. The produce business began by selling out of the back of a pickup truck in the Sykesville area. The business has grown exponentially and now has a permanent home at 6930 Sykesville Road, Sykesville, MD. Dianna left a dental career to come on board when Fern’s health started to fail.
Today George and Dianna with her two children Cameron and Colin own and operate Stafford’s Produce & Landscaping and Stafford’s Meats.